Home Taxes & Finance Personal Finance How to Get FoodShare (Food Stamps) in Wisconsin

How to Get FoodShare (Food Stamps) in Wisconsin

(2 votes, average 5.00 out of 5)
Written by bossypants   

FoodShare Wisconsin

Did you know you may be eligible for FoodShare (food stamps) in Wisconsin, even if you're working? The Wisconsin State Department of Health Services (DHS) provides nutrition assistance to families and individuals through Food Share, and to women and children through the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. Food Share benefits (funds) are loaded onto a Quest Card, which is used like a debit card at participating supermarkets and retailers. FoodShare funds can be used to purchase breads and cereals, produce, meats, poultry, fish, and dairy products. You can even use your FoodShare dollars to buy seeds and plants to grow food for your family.


FIND OUT IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE. FoodShare eligibility is determined at the County or Local Tribal agencies in Wisconsin. But, you can find out if you are likely eligible for benefits by completing a short questionnaire on the Access Wisconsin website. (See the link, "Am I Eligible?," under Resources, below.) The questionnaire will also tell you whether you may be eligible for medical, and other, assistance programs. In order to be eligible, you must be a resident of Wisconsin. Need is determined by income, as well as through a calculation of credits for some expenses.


APPLY FOR FOODSHARE. You can apply for FoodShare on line, or by completing a paper application.

To apply on line, go to the Access Wisconsin website. If you've completed the eligibility questionnaire, you'll be offered the opportunity to apply immediately. The link is listed in Resources as "Apply for Benefits." Once you submit your online application, you will be given a tracking number. Write this number down and keep it where you can find it, as you will need it when you are contacted about your benefits. You'll need to submit required documentation, either by mailing the paperwork in to, or dropping it off at, your County or Local Tribal agency. Until the documentation is received, the local agency will not process your application.

To get a paper application, contact your County or Local Tribal agency, and ask for a FoodShare Application Packet. To find your agency, see the link, below, "Find County and Local Tribal Agencies." You can also get application materials by calling the Wisconsin State ForwardHealth Member Services Hot Line at 1-800-362-3002. Read the application materials carefully and include the required documentation when returning the application to your local agency.


FIND OUT IF YOU'RE APPROVED. The County and Local Tribal Agencies have 30 days to review your application and make a benefit determination. You may receive a letter or phone call asking for further verification. It's important to respond as quickly as possible to any requests to ensure you will receive benefits. You will be notified by mail (or possibly by e mail, if you applied on line) when your application has been approved or denied. If your benefit is denied, the letter will include information on how to obtain a fair hearing to appeal the denial.


USE YOUR BENEFITS. Your FoodShare funds will be applied to your Quest Card on the same date, each month. You will choose a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to use with your Quest Card. You may use your card like a debit card at any supermarket or retailer which displays the Quest emblem. (The emblem is often displayed along with other card decals for credit and debit cards.) A picture of the Quest emblem is shown in the FoodShare application materials. Any unused funds on Quest card will rollover to the next month.


Tips & Warnings

In order to continue receiving benefits, it's important that you respond promptly to any correspondence from your local agency. Also, contact your local agency about any changes in your circumstances (income, address changes, etc.).


Am I Eligible?

Apply for Benefits

Find County and Local Tribal Agencies

More Information About FoodShare

Comments (1)add comment

jswana said:

Good information for those who need this service and are going to Wisconsin! Thanks for sharing.
July 31, 2011
Votes: +0

Write comment
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.