|Written by Bill Hanks|
Do you have to work with individuals that have super egos? ¬†These are usually individuals that are very successful and excel in their fields of work. ¬†Some of the traits, of these individuals, are they dominate discussion, never wrong, very opinionated, constantly criticizes others and tries to dominate or over see projects. ¬†They will stop at nothing to gain credit for tasks and projects. ¬†Many times, other employees hate to be around them. ¬†They tolerate them because of their jobs or positions. ¬†This article explains how to deal with these individuals.
1. ¬†Remain calm and let the person talk until they have completed their opinions. ¬†Eventually, they will run out of things to say. ¬†Do not show any anger towards them.
2. ¬†Use the person's name when talking with them. ¬†Do not over use it. ¬†This way they will feel like they are still the center of their universe.
3. ¬†Consulting with the individual is very important. ¬†You can't go around this type of person. ¬†You can do this by asking important questions that you need answers to.
4. ¬†Communicate on the side with them in a private manner. ¬†Egos only need feeding in front of a large group, not on a one to one basis. ¬†Many times you can get more accomplished in this type of discussion.
Many times big egos are nothing but confidence. ¬†Confidence is very important in the corporate world. ¬†It is a good thing to have for success.
How do you deal with many egos at the same time?
1. ¬†You have to sell them on the team concept. ¬†You have to get them to temporarily drift away from the "I" to the "Team" concept. ¬†To do this, you have to show how successfully the group can be as a team in advance.
2. ¬†Exploit the team for each individuals importance to the project. ¬†Each individual will be stronger in one area over another. ¬†The goal is to show the importance of each skill or trait to everyone.
3. ¬†Self gratification follows a completed project. ¬†Always reinforce the group with their completed successes. ¬†Especially highlight each individuals contributions. ¬†Doing this will provide a strong foundation for future projects.