|Written by Bill Hanks|
On July 27TH I will be celebrating my 38TH wedding anniversary. ¬†38 years have went by in a blur. ¬†I started thinking what has made our relationship so strong. ¬†Like many other couples, we have had our highs and lows. ¬†I believe that there are three major reasons why we have managed a strong marriage union.
1. ¬†The 50/50 Rule: ¬†To make a marriage work, it takes a 100 percent effort by the two involved. ¬†That doesn't mean that each individual has to provide a 100 percent effort. ¬†It means that the total of the two has to meet the 100 percent goal. ¬†One person might give 40 percent while the other gives 60 percent. ¬†However, over the course of the years, it averages out to 50 percent for each individual.
This 50/50 rule applies to all aspects of the relationship. ¬†Chores, support, sexual activity, money earned, family responsibilities and accepting and respecting the other persons opinions. ¬†All of these will teeter back and forth over the course of the relationship. ¬†When final totals are accounted, they equal the 50/50 rule.
2. ¬†Worship: ¬†The family that worships together stays together. ¬†We have all heard that before. ¬†But, it goes farther than that. ¬†Respecting ones beliefs is just as important. ¬†Many marriages have split faiths. ¬†However, if their beliefs are respected and accepted, the marriage will prosper. ¬†The couple that worships of the same faith has a strong chance of succeeding.
3. ¬†Patience and Understanding: ¬†Communication is very important. ¬†Each person has to be patient and understanding. ¬†They have to realize that individuals are going to make mistakes. ¬†That have to be able to forget those mistakes and help their spouse work through them. ¬†Going back to the 50/50 rule, never be afraid to carry your partners load when necessary. Never go to bed angry at your spouse.
One last thing that helps a relationship is when the man takes control in a severe situation. ¬†There will be times when a man just has to do things that a man must do. ¬†Changing tires, removing snow, doing hard physical labor are just a few of the things that a man must step up and do. ¬†He is responsible for protecting the family and his spouse when necessary.