|Written by Bill Hanks|
Back to school days are right around the corner. ¬†Many parents will be purchasing school supplies for their children. Most school districts publish a list of items that students will need in advance. ¬†However, most schools won't tell you the type of book bag or back pack you will need. ¬†This article provides steps for selecting the right book bag for your child.
1. ¬†Determine the weight your child can handle. ¬†Heavy items can cause spine problems over time. ¬†This is probably the most important aspect to consider when purchasing a book bag.
2. ¬†Select a book bag with pads on the straps. ¬†This is especially important for bags that are large and heavy. ¬†You want a bag that can adjust to the size of your child.
3. ¬†Determine the durability of the book bag. ¬†Leather looks great but will develop cracks and discoloration. ¬†I prefer the synthetic bags. ¬†They air out easier.
4. ¬†Pick a book bag with larger compartments. ¬†You want those that are slightly padded. ¬†This is for electronic devices. ¬†They are also easier to open for smaller children.
5. ¬†Zippers, snaps, Velcro or thumb loops. ¬†Some bags will have two types for extra security. ¬†I really like the thumb loops. ¬†Zippers will break, snaps will be hard for some children and Velcro collects all sorts of lint and threads. ¬†If you go with zippers, go with the double headed zippers.
6. ¬†Rubber bottoms are a good idea. ¬†They will keep items dry from rain and snow.
7. ¬†Lunch items go in a separate bag. ¬†This will protect both the food and the school items.
8. ¬†Money should go in a small plastic bag. ¬†It is easier to get identify. ¬†It should always be put into a secure pocket.
9. ¬†Identity tags are important. ¬†The bigger the better. ¬†If there is none, mark the bag between the straps. ¬†You want to be able to see it clearly.
10. ¬†A key holder could be important. ¬†However, it needs to be durable and secure. ¬†It should be attached to the bag or strap.
11. ¬†Let your child choose. ¬†You might know what is best for them but, they are the ones using it. ¬†Color and designs are important to children. ¬†Let them have some say in the choice. ¬†When a child has some ownership in the book bag, they will care for it better.
Finally buy your bag on back to school or tax fee days in your state. ¬†You can end end up with big savings.