|Written by Bill Hanks|
I have been a church usher since 1976. ¬†When I first took the job, I didn't think that I would stick with it. ¬†However, as time has went by, it has become one of my favorite things to do. ¬†The main goal of being an outstanding church usher is to serve others. ¬†This article will explain what it takes to make an outstanding church usher. ¬†In some ways, you could call this the ministry of welcome.
1. ¬†Introduction: ¬†As soon as you meet someone with a smile, good morning and how or you. ¬†Introduce yourself and discover who you are talking to.
2. ¬†Be visitor sensitive. ¬†They might be strangers here. ¬†Explain restrooms, fellowship and church protocol. ¬†Remember new visitors will not act like regular attendees. ¬†They might even have a specific need. ¬†Be helpful but, not over bearing on them.
3. ¬†Be on time and stay your post. ¬†Don't wander off and be over talkative to close friends.
4. ¬†Seat people carefully. ¬†Some people have comfort zones when it comes to seating.
5. ¬†Be sure everyone gets a church bulletin or service paper. ¬†These help lead the person through the service.
6. ¬†Be ready to handle illness if someone gets sick.
7. ¬†Maintain order. ¬†This can be tough to do. ¬†If you have a disruptive child, ask the parents to remove the child until the child settles down. ¬†You can't let one individual ruin it for everyone else.
8. ¬†Be an out reach for your minister. ¬†Take addresses and phone numbers if necessary. ¬†Remember you are the middle man on a contact between the attendees and pastor.
9. ¬†If you have guidelines obey and follow them.
10. ¬†Handle the offering with dignity. ¬†Your job is to collect not judge.
11. ¬†Clean up and lock up after the service. ¬†Many times janitors do not work on Sunday. ¬†Shutting down the church could be everything from window closing and door locking to turning off the power and organ.
On a personal note: ¬†I recently watched the video "Validation." ¬†This video gives you an idea of how one person can make a difference. ¬†Church ushers certainly fall into this category. ¬†Try to be a nice stranger.