|Written by Bill Hanks|
Many parents take their children with them, as they travel throughout the summer. ¬†This article provides some suggestions that can help moms and dads travel with their children.
1. ¬†Beat the Heat: ¬†Long rides in the car can be even warmer in their car seats. ¬†Dress them down to their diaper with a light t-shirt. ¬†You will also want to consider a stick on window shade. ¬†Direct sunlight can irritate a child and add to their behavior. ¬†If your air conditioner is going full blast consider a light blanket for them. ¬†Never have the air vents blowing directly on the child.
2. ¬†Timing is Important: ¬†Keep as close to your toddlers routine as you can. ¬†This includes sleeping and eating. ¬†You might want to alter your travel schedule to accommodate your child.
3. ¬†Bring Liquids with You: ¬†Airport Security will allow certain amounts of milk and baby food. ¬†If you have dry cereal or formula, place it in plastic bags. ¬†Security can easier determine what you have. ¬†It also makes it easy to prepare, when you need it. ¬†Always have plenty of liquid easy to get to when you need it.
4. ¬†Plan for Stops: ¬†A brief break to stretch your leg and exercise your muscles will increase blood flow. ¬†It also helps prevent muscle cramps. ¬†Try to select a rest area that has a playground or place to play. ¬†Carry a ball for older children and a jar of bubbles for little ones.
5. ¬†Entertain as you Travel: ¬†Many vehicles have video systems. ¬†I have found that coloring books work good for small children. ¬†Yes crayons will get down inside the seat. ¬†Hot Wheel cars work great for little boys. ¬†Paper dolls and lots of stickers will also keep little girls happy.
6. ¬†Set Up a Diaper Station: ¬†Use a small box to carry diapers, wipes and a plastic garbage bag. ¬†Determine where diapers will be changed. ¬†You can set a beach towel down or a carpet remnant as a change station.
7. ¬†Stick to your Child's Routine. ¬†If you put them to bed at 9 pm, make sure you are in your hotel room by that time. ¬†If your toddler takes a nap during the day, have them in your room at that time. ¬†Sticking to a routine makes for a happy child.
Follow these suggestions and enjoy your travel with your child.