|Written by Bill Hanks|
Drastic times means drastic decisions. ¬†How can anyone cut costs when money is tight to begin with. ¬†This article gives some money saving ideas. ¬†Not all of these are right for everyone. ¬†However, one or two of these might give you ideas for cost saving measures.
1. ¬†Focus on the Future and not the Present. ¬†Examine what major financial issues you will have to deal with in the future. ¬†Knowing how to solve these future problems is a step in the right direction.
2. ¬†Downsize now. ¬†Go for higher insurance deductibles. ¬†Lower your 401k withholdings until you have the money saved to put it in.
3. ¬†Movies and eating ¬†out are out of the question for now.
4. ¬†Do as much personal maintenance as you can within reason. ¬†Things like changing your own oil, auto maintenance, lawn care, house cleaning and many other things.
5. ¬†Consider going to a smaller vehicle. ¬†Get rid of the large auto payment. ¬†This allows you to reduce insurance rates for your automobile as well.
6. ¬†Move to a smaller apartment, if you rent.
7. ¬†Car pool or walk to work. ¬†Consider public transportation.
8. ¬†Have a philosphy of paying off instead of buying. ¬†This is tough to do, but you can do it. ¬†Change your line of thinking.
9. ¬†Liquidate items of value and little use to you. (Old TV's, computers, vacuums etc.)
10. ¬†Budget tighter. ¬†Budget your meals. ¬†Do not throw away leftovers.
11. ¬†Build your skill set. ¬†Learn a foreign language. ¬†Do some volunteer work. ¬†Make new connections with other individuals.
12. ¬†Work the net. ¬†Always be on the lookout for a new position or job.
13. ¬†Forget a vacation and do things around the house.
14. ¬†Establish an emergency savings fund for a rainy day.
15. ¬†Finally get organized. ¬†If you don't do bookkeeping, begin. ¬†Account for all expenses and incomes.
If you are approaching this stage of finance or if you are already there, it is time to change your mind set and to go intoa survival mode of living. ¬†Do not let anyone know how bad off you are. ¬†You don't need peer pressure from friends and family. ¬†Speaking of family, pull together. ¬†It will make you a stronger family unit.
Lastly, remember others are hurting, too. ¬†Look to always be helpful to others. ¬†The more you give the more you recieve.