Written by pondripples
Intro: If you're going to an 80s party, and want a creative costume idea, Devo's Whip It video has a great look to go for. If you don't remember Devo's Whip It video, there's a link to it under resources below.
things you'll need:
Black turtle neck
Black long shorts
Black dress pants
Whip it hat
Whip, guitar or over shoulder keyboard.
1. Make or buy an energy dome hat. This was the signature red wedding cake shaped hat. You need four tiers, each about as tall as your nose is long. The original looked like molded plastic. It's hard to mold plastic without special tools, but you could make something similar with styrofoam rings and latex paint, or red cardboard and glue.
2. Put on knee length black shorts and a black dress belt.
3. Cut the sleeves off the black turtle neck, and put it on. Tuck the shirt into the shorts.
4. Put on black dress socks and dress shoes.
5. Put on your energy dome hat.
6. Carry a whip or an electric guitar.
7. For an extra touch, put the song whip it on your phone and play it on speaker once in a while.
8. If carrying the whip, wear some clear safety glasses.
Tips & Warnings
If you're looking for a couples costume, your lady friend could go as the woman who has the cigarette in her mouth ready to be whipped off. Just be warned that you will get requests for a demo from anyone who remembers the video.
Whip It Music Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw