Written by Bill Hanks
Being a Cardinal fan for 61 years, I have always gotten excited about opening day. This is a quiz for the general MLB fan. This quiz will test your knowledge about Opening Day. The questions will be first with the answers provided at the end of the quiz.. some are easy and others are hard. Good Luck.
1. The NY Giants were forced into Opening Day's only forfeit in 1907 when their fans wouldn't stop throwing these onto the field.
2. Who was the first President to attend an opening day game?
3. Which team has hosted more opening days than any other?
4. What season's Opening Day was postponed because of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?
5. Which pitcher has started the most openers?
6. What is the site of the only opening day game to be outside the US or Canada, but still in the new world?
7. Who was the Hall of Famer who broke the color barrier on Opening Day 1947?
8. Who is the only umpire to collapse and die on Opening Day in 1996?
9. Who was the Red Sox pitcher (and future Yankee) who threw a 3 hit shutout against the Yanks on opening day 1917?
10. Which NL team hosted the first night opener?
Bonus Question (True-False)
Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's all time home run record on Opening Day 1974?
Answers; 1. Snowballs 2. Taft 3. Cincinnati 4. 1968 5. Tom Seaver 6. Monterrey, Mexico 7. Jackie Robinson 8. John McSherry 9. Babe Ruth 10. St. Louis Bonus Question; False. He just tied it.