|Written by Daryl Jr|
Many people are sure they know how to dress when it gets cold outside. Yet, there are many cases of hypothermia and frostbite. This article will give tips on how to dress for the winter weather and being safe when it is cold out.
Some people believe that wearing a big long, heavy coat and a pair of gloves is all they need to make it through the cold days of winter.. This is neither true for most people, nor is it recommended for anybody. Listed below are tips on how to properly dress when the weather is near or below freezing (32ÂşF/0ÂşC).
ADVISORY WARNING: If it is not absolutely necessary stay in the warmth of your house.
1. When dressing for those extremely cold winter days think of dressing in layers. The first layer should be undergarments. Thermal undergarments , long sleeve shirts and long legged underpants are good at holding the heat in and clothes to the body. Taking the cue from some professional athletes, wearing womenâ€™s nylon pantyhose are good for a primary layer and has known to massage the legs when working/running.
2. Unless dressing in a business suit, adding a pair of sweat pants helps keep the warmth closer to the body.
3. A long sleeve shirt is always more preferable than a short sleeve. Wearing a sweatshirt is an added warmth.
4. A light to medium jacket is a good thing to wear under your coat.
5. Preferably a full length is better during extreme cold weather. But if a full length coat is not owned the longer the better.
6. Gloves vs. Mittens: Unless dressing for a special occasion mittens are always preferable to gloves, You should always be able to move your hands and fingers around so that they will not stiffen and get cold.
7. Headgear during this time is important also as most heat which escape the body during these cold days are through extremities. That is to say that you lose heat from the head, feet and hands. The feet are usually taken care of and gloves/mittens cover the hands. We must now take care of the head by wearing a hat and earmuffs and a sweater or sweatshirt that has a hood. The coat may also have a hood.