|Written by Bill Hanks|
Kachina dolls were hand carved wooden dolls made by the Hopi Indians of the southwestern United states. ¬†Each doll represents a being from the spirit world. ¬†This is a craft article that explains how to make one out of art materials found around the school, art class or home. ¬†These are great for children to make.
You will need the following supplies for this craft.
Cardboard tube from toilet paper or paper towels. ¬†Scissors, tape, hot glue, Styrofoam ball or ping pong ball, Tempera paint of different colors, brushes, felt, fabric, construction paper, yarn, feathers, beads, buttons, ribbons and thick cardboard from a solid box. ¬†This cardboard is for the doll's stand.
1. ¬†Make 2 slits up about a third of a way on each side of the tube.
2. ¬†Make 2 more short slits at the end of each of these. ¬†This will cut a T shape on each side. ¬†These will roll in to become legs for the doll.
3. ¬†Curve in these T's and tape them together. ¬†They will form two separate legs. ¬†Tape each leg securely.
4. ¬†Hot glue the Styrofoam or Ping Pong ball to the top of the cardboard tube. ¬†This forms the head.
5. ¬†Paint the head first. ¬†Let it dry and then place facial features and hair on it. ¬†Glue yarn as hair on it.
6. ¬†Cover the body legs and body with colored fabric, felt or construction paper. ¬†This can be cut to size and glue on. ¬†set it aside to strongly dry.
7. ¬†Decorate with feathers, buttons, small sea shells, beads on this part of the body. ¬†Very small items will glue on easily. ¬†Feathers should be on the sides or backside of the doll. ¬†Make a small necklace, to go around the neck area.
8. ¬†Cut the cardboard base the way you want it. ¬†It can be oblong, square, triangular, round or a pool of water. ¬†Next paint and design this piece the way you want it. ¬†Some place stickers on it like stars, moons, butterflies etc. ¬†You can even use colored beads on it.
9. ¬†Use hot glue and glue your doll to it. ¬†Set it aside to strongly dry.
10. ¬†Name your doll. ¬†You can write it on the base, if you want.