How to Remote Access a Computer
If you've ever had anyone ask you for computer help over the phone, it's probably been pretty tough to explain to them what to do. They probably don't know a lot about computers is the reason that they've called you in the first place, so there's probably a good chance that they don't understand completely when you're trying to walk them through some troubleshooting steps.
Also, by working with an inexperience computer user, it probably takes them twice as long to do something that may only take you a few minutes to do. There's a free computer software out that you can use to tap into someones computer.
This free software is called Team Viewer. Team Viewer allows you to remote access someones computer. You can actually take over their computer with Team Viewer. When you're logged in, you'll see there whole desktop, can access all files. Upload files to their computer that they may need or download files from their computer to yours. I'll explain below how to get Team Viewer to use to remote access someones computer.
** Downloading Team Viewer Remote Access Software **
1. Go to www.teamviewer.com, there will be a link below as well.
2. Click the button on the left that says "Start Full Version - It's free"
3. Save the Team Viewer Software to your desktop.
4. Have the person you're helping do the same thing. They need the software on their computer as well.
** Running Team Viewer **
1. Once you both have the Team Viewer software downloaded, click on the desktop icon and open the software.
2. You'll see two boxes, One is the "Wait for Session" box and the other is "Create Session".
3. If you're the one doing the remote access support, they will need to give you the ID and Password. This is used to create a connection between the 2 computers. You will put their ID in the "Create Session" box. Select the 'Remote Support' button for simple remote access or click the 'File Transfer' button to transfer files between the 2 computers.
4. Click "Connect to partner". This will establish a connection. Once the 2 computers are connected, the one doing the remote access support will see the other computer's desktop come on the screen. When your mouse is hovering over the screen, you're actually moving the mouse on their desktop. You will then be able access files and do some remote access to troubleshoot problems on their computer using Team Viewer.
** Remote Accessing Your Own Computer **
If you've ever needed to get files from your office computer after hours, another computer in the house or any computer anywhere in the world, you can set up Team Viewer to remote access that computer.
1. You'll need to download a copy of Team Viewer on the computer that you're wanting to access remotely.
2. Once this is done, open the Team Viewer software so that the ''Wait for Session" and "Create session" box appears.
3. Under the "Wait for Session" side, you'll see a link that says "Configure permanent access to this computer".
4. It will allow you to create a permanent ID and Password for this computer. Keep these handy in a file on your desktop so you won't forget them.
5. Leave Team Viewer running on this remote computer. You can minimize it to the toolbar. This way when you need to remote access this computer, the software will be running.
6. Open your Team Viewer software on your computer, put in the permanent ID and click the button for the task you want to perform. Then click "Connect To Partner" and put in the Password that you set for this ID and you will then be remotely connected to your computer.