|Written by Donna Thacker|
Making your own holiday centerpiece is a fun way to decorate your home. It is also less expensive than buying fancy decorations that you only use for a short time. Making a Yule Log centerpiece doesnâ€™t take a lot of time, or a lot of expensive items. You will need a log, a drill and various size bits, some flowers, a couple of candles and a bit of craft glue.
1. Get a real wooden log. Those of you who burn wood have a huge selection! If you canâ€™t beg, borrow or steal a log, you can purchase a small bundle of firewood at several different stores. If you have woods, chances are you can find a recently fallen branch to saw a log from!
2. Cut the log to an appropriate size. You can adjust the length to whatever size centerpiece you need. Make sure your log will sit lengthwise without rolling! Now you will need to figure out where you want to add the decorations. Drill tiny holes across the top of the log.
3. Use the small Christmas decoration type flowers to fill these holes with. You can buy these sprigs at dollar stores. Some have Poinsettias and little presents on them, or bells and snowmen. Choose whichever kind you like. If you have an old wreath that has seen better days, you can also recycle the decorations on it.
4. Decide where you want the tall candles to sit. You can line several up across the top, space out two candles, or just use one. You are designing this Yule log to your liking. Once you know where you want the candles, use the drill with a large drill bit to drill a hole about 2 inches deep into the log. It should be snug enough to push the candle into and hold it tight.
5. Once the candles are in place, add the small flower sprigs wherever you think they need to be. You can drill more tiny holes if you need them. Dip the end of the flower wire into your craft glue and push it into the drill hole. You can add bows are whatever else youâ€™d like. These also make great presents!
You donâ€™t have to use these Yule logs as centerpieces either. A larger decorated one looks great sitting on a fireplace hearth. You can also leave off the candles and set them on your porch or sidewalk! Let your imagination be your guide when decorating your Yule Log!