|Written by Bill Hanks|
With the day becoming shorter, darkness comes sooner. For many women that like to shop at night, this makes them more vulnerable. It is especially more dangerous for them at shopping malls and parking lots. This article will give some suggestions on how to stay safe.
1. When at night, always try to take a friend or two with you. If you use public transportation, try to walk with a group going to and from.
2. Park close to the main entrance. The closer, the better. Do not park by a side or back door. Park where you can be seen.
3. Park close to lights. Keep in mind though, that location is more important than lights.
3. Enter a store when others do. Walk quickly, but don't run.
4. Leave when others do. Never enter or leave alone. If nobody is around, when you leave, get a security guard. that is what they are paid for.
5. Use your power locks on your vehicle, if you have them.
6. If you have many items, place them in will-call. Then get them another time.
7. Leave large purses at home. The same with coat belts scarves and necklaces. Anything that someone can grab on.
8. Carry a small bull horn, as you go in and out. They can be very loud.
9. Always scout the area, that you park in, before getting in or out of your vehicle.
10. If a stranger approaches, walk with a purpose. Act like you see someone at a distance, wave your hand like they see you. It might be enough to discourage a mugger.
Finally, if you are attacked, your life is worth more than your valuables. Scream loudly. A good scream could scare off an attacker.