|Written by dthere|
Most of us have items in our homes that we wonder about. Perhaps, every time we look at them we think, 'Do I really need this?' Selling these items using a garage sale is one way to attempt to dispose of them.
1. To set up a garage sale, review your possession and identify the items you would like to sell for a garage sale.
2. Using a list you compile from your inventory decide on a price for each item. If you do not have a place to sell your items, find out if a friend will allow you to include your items in a joint garage sale.
3. Mark all your items with price stickers. Prices should be low enough to sell. If more than one person is selling items, color code the stickers and provide a poster indicating sellers by sticker color.
4. Provide packing materials including bags or boxes to be used for purchased items. This added value will make your operation convenient.
5. Provide beverages. Ice tea, sodas and water on ice especially in hot weather is an added convenience. Either sell drinks or include them free with purchase. Sell snacks if you would like. Baked goods or energy bars a good possibilities. Make sure all food items are wrapped. Provide napkins and trash cans also.
Things to think about.
* Consider donating items that do not sell or store them for a subsequent garage sale
* Keep a record of your earnings for possible inclusion as income for tax purposes
* Become aware of local laws regarding the location and frequency of garage sales