|Written by Bill Hanks|
Picture frames are what make your pictures standout. If taken care of properly, they can last a long time. This article will explain how to care for your frames. It doesn't matter about the size of the frame. However, frames are made from several different materials and each needs to be cleaned a different way.
1. Take the frames off the wall. Remove dust and cobwebs with a dry rag.
2. For intense cleaning, take the picture out of the frame. Then take out the glass and the back support.
3. Use a soft cotton rag and some dish detergent to clean both sides of the glass. Don't use paper towels. Paper towels will tare and also could scratch the glass. It will also leave streaks. Wiping should be done with a circular motion.
4. Digital frames need to be cleaned, too. However, this must be done very gently, so you don't damage the pixels.
5. Dust off the frame. Use a small brush to get into the cracks. The brush must be soft. You don't want to scratch off the paint.
a. Wood Frames; Do not use water or cleaning liquid. Scrape off any residue. Then put on a light coat of varnish.
b. Gift Frame; Use a water ammonia solution. Rub it lightly and let it dry. Then use a soft cotton cloth to dry off any access.
c. Plastic frames; Just use a soft cloth and clean water.
d. Metal frames; Use a cloth and clean water only. Lay the frame on newspaper. Then use metal spray paint. Let it dry well.
Only paint frames when they are scratched or chipped. Clean the back part of the picture frame. Felt backs will collect dust mites and dirt. Use a vacuum to lightly remove the dirt.
Picture frames look great on your walls and cabinets. Keeping them clean makes your pictures of loved ones stand out.